CLEARANCE: AQ OILS 4 KIDS Essential Oil Blend - ITCHY BITES
Aromatherapy for use around kids - not BY kids,
Always keep essential oils out of reach of children.
SAFETY NOTE RE YOUNGER CHILDREN & BABIES:
Our AROMA QUEEN OILS 4 KIDS range has been created with CHILDREN in mind and is not suitable for use with babies, infants or newborns. We do NOT recommend using Aromatherapy on children under 1 year old, unless specific rules are followed. For children between 1 - 5 years we recommend using even less than you'd use for school-aged children - Please read our OILS 4 KIDS LEARN MORE page for complete information regarding using Aromatherapy around babies and children.
BONUS: FREE Full Colour SAFETY & INSTRUCTIONS CARD with each AQ OILS 4 KIDS Pure Essential Oil Blend order - to be nice to the environment, we include ONE card only per order. If you're purchasing more than one OILS 4 KIDS OIL BLEND and would like an additional card please leave a message in the SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS box when checking out.
AQ OILS 4 KIDS
Aromatherapy can be amazing for looking after your littlies - pure, natural plant-based Essential Oils can knock the baddies out of the ball park as well as any superhero (and they probably smell better too!). Aromatherapy can help with anything from grazes & itches, to nerves, concentration or the grumps, and so we've created a fantastic AROMA QUEEN OILS 4 KIDS range featuring Premium Quality Pure Essential Oils that are known to be safe to use around your precious little ones and bigger kids, and in tune with the fussiest of noses so they all smell good in their own right. Our OILS 4 KIDS can be used by full grown adult children as well - if your kids let you use them!
FREE SAFETY CARD
Children work differently to adults, and there are a few simple rules to follow. So we include a FREE FULL COLOUR SAFETY CARD with every Oils 4 Kids order (one per order), explaining in simple terms how to use your pure oil blend (and how much), as well as including safety information that will come in handy when you're using oils with your child. Even if you've never touched Aromatherapy before, we've made sure it's easy to follow and understand. You - and your kids - will be loving them in no time.
Scroll down for more information:
* INFO ON THIS SPECIFIC OIL BLEND
* CHECKLIST ON THE BEST WAY TO USE THIS PARTICULAR BLEND
* HOW DO THE DIFFERENT METHODS WORK?
* BASIC SAFETY INFO FOR AROMATHERAPY AND CHILDREN
We also recommend you have a read of our OILS 4 KIDS LEARN MORE PAGE where we've put together a more detailed, easy-to-follow blog covering everything you need to get started using Aromatherapy with your children.
OILS 4 KIDS BLEND: ITCHY BITES
For Insect Bites, Stings & Itches - also a Natural Insect Repellent
Every AQ OILS 4 KIDS ESSENTIAL OIL BLEND contains a blend of premium therapeutic quality pure and natural Essential Oils, chosen with both their health & wellbeing benefits in mind, as well as a pleasant scent that is appealing to children and adults alike. No filler, padding or artificial ingredients: just pure, natural Essential Oils. All OILS 4 KIDS can be used on little people as well as big people.
* For general itches
* For insect bites or stings
* Helps calm agitation
* Also helpful as a natural insect repellent
Essential Oils are excellent to treat itches of any kind, plus with added antiseptic benefits they also help reduce the chance of infection from stings and bites. ITCHY BITES is a gorgeous blend of high quality pure Essential Oils - including precious ROMAN CHAMOMILE - to treat general itches and bites, as well as help repel insects and calm agitation. Roman Chamomile has anti-inflammatory properties that will help prevent swelling caused by bites and stings; ITCHY BITES also features a generous amount of high quality French Lavender, which is Aromatherapy's 'go-to' anti-itch oil. These two oils are also analgesic (pain relieving) oils AND have calming qualities as well, so if your little one (or big one) is driving themselves crazy scratching, they'll start to be soothed by the scent of ITCHY BITES as soon as they put it on. Other oils such as child-friendly Eucalyptus Radiata, French Rosemary and Palmarosa all work together to help calm the itching, plus Palmarosa is also helpful for dry skin which can be the cause, or the result, of itching and scratching. The added bonus is that many of these oils are also INSECT REPELLING oils, and so the oil can be used as a gentle natural repellent to deter the bugs from biting in the first place.
MUST BE DILUTED BEFORE APPLYING TO SKIN - HOW TO USE
ITCHY BITES Blend can be used aromatically in a burner or room spray as a natural insect repellent for a larger space. However to use ITCHY BITES to treat itches and stings, it needs to be applied directly to the affected area - the golden rule with ANY essential oil is that you must dilute it before applying it to the skin - and that's especially important around children. ITCHY BITES should be diluted in a natural carrier oil or cream before applying it: you can either make it up at the time, or prepare a treatment bottle, jar or roll-on that's ready to grab whenever you need it (see below for instructions). Use a NATURAL oil such as Jojoba, Apricot or Grapeseed Oil, or a cream that features natural oils and ingredients: they will 'carry' the Essential Oils into the skin - if you use a petrochemical oil or cream such as sorbeline, it will act as a barrier and stop the Essential Oils from penetrating and doing their good.
Dilute ITCHY BITES Blend in a carrier / massage oil or cream at around 3 drops / 15ml tablespoon or roll-on, or up to 9 drops for an older child. For a 100ml bottle use 1ml (20 drops), or up to 3ml (60 drops) for an older child. Apply directly to the affected area, however do not apply to open wounds or sores - to treat itching around a larger wound just apply around the sore instead of on it. Reapply as needed. Do not use on children under 1 year, or anywhere the child may accidentally get it into their mouths or eyes - avoid the facial area. If your young child has a tendency to rub their hands in their eyes etc and doesn't understand that they cannot rub this oil around their face, don't apply anywhere they will get the blend onto their hands.
TIP: A roll-on (1% dilution) is excellent to keep on hand to treat itches and bites, as your child can help themselves whenever they need it - they can also use the roll-on as a gentle personal insect repellent (or try an aroma pendant). To use as a natural insect repellent in a larger space, burn in an oil diffuser or make up a room spray (avoid baby's room and don't spray too much around your baby as it may be too overwhelming for them).
NOTE: Avoid using ITCHY BITES in a bath as the Eucalyptus may be sensitising for younger skin. To treat itches, try using a drop or two of plain FRENCH LAVENDER instead (up to 8 drops in a bath for a larger child).
NOTE RE BABIES: Not intended for babies, infants or newborns. For children under 1 year we recommend using only the 'Baby Safe' oils of Lavender, Neroli, Roman Chamomile or Mandarin, in extremely reduced quantities.
See below for a checklist on the best methods that suit this oil, and instructions on how to use each method.
WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO USE YOUR 'ITCHY BITES' BLEND?
Here's a checklist as to which methods THIS PARTICULAR OIL is suited to. Scroll down for more detailed instructions on how each method works.
OIL BURNER or DIFFUSER
ROLL-ON (Diluted in a natural carrier oil)
MASSAGE / DIRECT APPLICATION (Diluted as per instructions)
BATH (Children over 1 year only)
AROMA PENDANT or NECKLACE
TIPS FOR THIS OIL BLEND: See the notes in the section above on how best to use this oil. A roll-on is an excellent method to keep on hand, which your child can help themselves to as needed. Try using in a burner or room spray as a gentle natural insect repellent.
Scroll down for very important SAFETY POINTS regarding how to use OILS 4 KIDS with your children, and please read the included SAFETY CARD before use.
HOW DOES EACH METHOD WORK?
See the checklist above as to which methods best suit this OILS 4 KIDS Oil Blend, and then read below for some simple information explaining each method. Please be aware that most quantities are aimed at school aged children and upwards, and that these blends are NOT suitable for use with children under 1 year of age. Visit our OILS 4 KIDS LEARN MORE PAGE for more detailed information on how to use your oils.
* OIL BURNER / DIFFUSER: To diffuse oils in a room, use 2-3 drops in a burner, and ensure the room is well ventilated. Use less for younger children (try a single drop), and up to 8 drops or so for an older teen. Take care using candle-heated burners around children or pets - never leave unattended. Try an electric diffuser if you're concerned about using candles.
* TISSUE: Great for overnight or out and about, add 1 drop onto a tissue, placed by the pillow or tucked into pyjamas or a shirt - as long as it isn't directly contacting the skin. For a younger child, ensure that it cannot be sucked or chewed. If the oil is a coloured or opaque one, take care that it doesn't come into contact with fabric etc. as it may stain.
* INHALER STICK: Your child can take their oil blend with them anywhere they go by using an inhaler stick: great for school, travel, by their bed or just to keep a 'breathing' blend handy while they have a cold. Add 2-3 drops to the inhaler wick, insert the wick, add the end cap, and inhale directly as needed. Use slightly more oil for older children or young adults - top up the wick with additional oils once the scent starts to fade.
HINT: Try adding a fun, personalised label to the inhaler stick, so your child knows it's theirs to use whenever they need it. You can even colour code their inhalers for different purposes.
* ROLL-ON: For an instant 'apply anywhere' roll-on, use no more than a 1% dilution for children, especially young ones. For a 5ml Roll-On Bottle use a single drop; for a 10-15ml Roll-On Bottle use 2-3 drops. You can use slightly more for a young adult - up to 3% for a full-grown adult. After adding the drops of oil/s to the bottle, top up with a light, natural Carrier Oil (Vegetable Oil) such as Jojoba or Apricot Kernel. Avoid PHOTOSENSITIVE OILS for skin application.
* MASSAGE / SKIN APPLICATION: Dilute your pure Oils 4 Kids Essential Oil Blend into an oil, cream or balm at the same strength you would for a Roll-On Bottle: a maximum of 1% for younger children, or slightly more for young adults (up to a maximum of 3% for a full-grown adult). So for 100ml of massage oil or cream at 1% dilution, you'd use no more than 1ml (20 drops) total essential oil. For a 15ml Tablespoon of massage oil or cream, you'd use no more than 2-3 drops. Avoid using on open wounds, or around the face / eye area.
* BATH: For younger children use a single drop in a bath, or 2-3 drops for an older child (up to 8 drops or so for a full-grown adult). Splash the oil WELL into the water before your child enters the bath so no pure oil can come into contact with your child's skin.
TIP: Try blending your Oils 4 Kids Essential Oil Blend with SOLUBILISER (in equal parts to the oil) and a bit of water, or some liquid soap, before adding it to the bath - the Solubiliser will help the oils disperse into the bath water, rather than sit as a slick on top.
NOTE: We do not recommend using pure (undiluted) oils in a baby or very young child's bath unless they're a particularly gentle oil that is safe for babies or infants, such as Lavender, Roman Chamomile, Neroli or Mandarin, and these are best diluted into another medium first to make absolutely sure that no pure oil will come into contact with their skin.
* ROOM SPRAY: Add up to 1% essential oils to the empty bottle (1ml/20 drops per 100ml bottle), followed by the same amount of SOLUBILISER, and top up with water. The Solubiliser helps the essential oils blend into the water, instead of sitting as a slick, so you can't accidentally spray pure essential oils onto your furniture or skin etc. Do take care where you spray: some oils may stain fabrics or timber etc, especially if they're a darker coloured oil. Don't use too much in a young child's room, and don't use strong room sprays in a baby's room as they will be too overwhelming for them. See our ROOM SPRAY KITS which contain everything you need to make your own Room Sprays.
* AROMATHERAPY PENDANTS: Great for kids as they don't even have to remember they're wearing them (see our Aromatherapy Jewellery section). When worn, the warmth of the skin gently heats the pendant, which in turn warms the essential oils and allows the vapour to diffuse through the open holes. Follow the instructions for each piece EXCEPT use ONLY A SINGLE DROP of oil for children. Some oil blends may not be as strong as others so experiment to make sure your child can still smell the scent without it being overpowering.
NOTE: We don't recommend using Lava Stone Aroma Bracelets with children as there's more chance of an oil coming into direct contact with their skin. Gentle oils may be suitable for use with an Aroma Bracelet for older children - use your discretion and cease use if your child experiences any sensitivities to their skin.
CREATE A RITUAL: Whichever method you use for your oils, try using your OILS 4 KIDS in a regular RITUAL with your children. Through regular use during study, bedtime, in the bath or during travel etc, the scent will become familiar and an instant association will be created so that every time your child smells the oil it will remind them of the 'Safe & Happy' times when they've experienced the oil before. This is particularly helpful for times such as homework or study: you can burn the oils during calm study at home, and then make a portable 'Exams' inhaler using the same blend, to take during exam time - this can help calm and focus your child as they will instantly associate the scent in the inhaler to the times they were studying at home.
THE BASIC 'OILS 4 KIDS' SAFETY RULES
While Aromatherapy can be amazing for looking after your littlies, you just need to bear in mind that little people are smaller in stature, plus also have less developed systems and skin than bigger people, and so you need to approach it differently to how you would for an adult.
Below are the most basic SAFETY POINTS to keep in mind when using Aromatherapy around children - each is covered in much more detail in our OILS 4 KIDS LEARN MORE PAGE, so please head over there and read in full, even if you're already familiar with Essential Oils. We include a SAFETY & INSTRUCTION CARD with each OILS 4 KIDS order, so you don't need to worry about forgetting the rules!
* ALWAYS USE LESS for children than you would for an adult. IMPORTANT: We do not recommend using Aromatherapy around children under one year of age. If your child is aged between 1 - 5 years, use even less than the suggested amount.
* NEVER INGEST OR SWALLOW ANY ESSENTIAL OIL. Even small amounts may be toxic or even fatal if swallowed - call your local Poisons Hotline immediately if your child has accidentally swallowed an amount of Essential Oil.
* NEVER APPLY ANY ESSENTIAL OIL DIRECTLY TO THE SKIN unless you've first diluted it in a carrier / massage oil, cream or balm at no more than 1% dilution (use less on children between 1 - 5 years).
- 1ml dilution means 1ml Essential Oils per 100ml Massage Oil/Cream etc. 1ml is approx 20 drops of essential oil.
- For a 15ml Tablespoon of Massage Oil/Cream etc, a 1% dilution would be just 2 - 3 drops of essential oil.
* AVOID THE EYE AREA: If you're applying a diluted Essential Oil to the skin, avoid applying it to any area where your child might accidentally get the oil into their eyes or mouth - especially if they tend to rub their eyes with their hands or fists.
* PHOTOSENSITISATION: A few oils cause photosensitisation, or sensitivity to UV light and should not be applied to skin before exposure to the sun as they may encourage burning. Avoid using any blend that may contain Photosensitive Oils on exposed areas of skin.
* SOME PEOPLE or CHILDREN MAY EXPERIENCE AN ALLERGIC REACTION or sensitisation to a specific Essential Oil: if this is the case, discontinue use immediately.
* STORE YOUR OILS IN A COOL, DARK PLACE: Essential Oils lose their therapeutic benefits if exposed to UV light or to extreme heat.
* ALWAYS KEEP YOUR OILS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN OR PETS, and take special care if you're using a candle-powered burner: never leave a lit candle unattended.
* AVOID USING ESSENTIAL OILS DURING PREGNANCY, particularly the first four months.
Always remember, Aromatherapy is intended to complement, not replace traditional medicine: it does NOT replace your local GP. Seek professional medical advice if minor symptoms persist.
CLICK HERE to Visit Our OILS 4 KIDS LEARN MORE PAGE - which covers the following topics in plenty of detail:
* WHAT IS AROMATHERAPY, AND WHY IS IT GREAT FOR KIDS? A brief intro to what it is and how it works.
* IMPORTANT NOTE RE BABIES & AROMATHERAPY - We don't recommend using Aromatherapy with children younger than one.
* AROMATHERAPY SAFETY FOR KIDS - Please do have a read even if you already love your oils.
* HOW TO USE YOUR PURE OIL BLEND - Full instructions on a number of methods to use Aromatherapy with your kids.